Classic Driver Marktplatz
|Bentley Mark VI Drophead Coupe by Park Ward|
Frank Dale & Stepsons
Fahrzeug auf Facebook parken
|Year : 1952|
Make : Bentley
Model : Mk VI
Coachbuilder : Park Ward
Body Type : Drophead Coupe
Colour : Dark Green
Trim : Beige Leather Piped Green
History : Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd made a complete departure from their former policy by announcing in 1946 the introduction of an entirely new Bentley that was factory built throughout. It was fitted with their design of “Standard” all steel bodywork, finished and furnished at Crewe where Bentley production still continues to this day. The tried and tested six cylinder 4256cc engine was retained, fitted with detachable aluminium alloy cylinder head with inserted valve seats. This was fitted to a frame chassis which was riveted with cruciform centre bracing and a box section pan to support the front suspension components. Lubrication was by a Bijur centralised system, operated by a foot pump situated just to the left of the steering column on right hand drive motor cars. It was advised that this pedal should be depressed once every one hundred miles. The manual gearbox had four forward gears with synchromesh on second, third and fourth gear. Engine capacity was increased to 4566cc in 1951. Despite the relatively high price tag when compared to other luxury cars available immediately after the war, the demand for this motor car was substantial. Sales were of such a brisk nature that customers were soon advised to be patient, with waiting lists for new Bentley Mk VI’s becoming ever longer, with lead times stretching to over three years by the early 1950s. Production lasted until 1952 with more than 5,000 chassis finding their way to lucky new owners making it one of Bentley’s most successful models ever. The vast majority of Bentley Mk VI’s that were produced were fitted with bodies constructed at the factory, but in traditional Rolls-Royce/Bentley fashion, coachbuilt options were available upon request. Chassis No B344NZ which we are currently offering for sale was completed in February of 1952, supplied by Jack Barclay to its first owner Mr R.T. Howarth of Manchester England. It was fitted as specified by Mr Howarth with a drophead coupe body by Park Ward with power hood, built to Design No 99, finished in moss green with pig skin upholstery. The early history records show it lived in Cheshire for a number of years before moving south to Buckinghamshire and then to Surrey. In more recent times B344NZ lived in the Bath area before being purchased by the most recent owner in the year 2000. Over the past decade the car has been properly restored to its former glory, the work included detailed coachwork rectification, restoration and finishing in dark green, a complete restoration to the interior, with new leather, carpets, headlining and a new hood in dark green mohair. The chrome has been restored and the mechanical aspects have been reviewed and tended to as and where necessary to ensure correct performance and complete reliability. All of the works have been carried out by recognised experts, finished to the highest standards, all of which are documented in the cars history file. The result is a car of exceptional beauty, in top condition and ready for the next owner to enjoy. It is complete with tools, handbook and is even fitted with its original number plate, issued some sixty years ago. Just fifty seven Bentley Mk VI’s were produced with this style of coachwork, which in our opinion is one of the most balanced and elegant designs of the period. A better example of this rare and stylish post war classic would be hard to find.
Condition : Restored in recent years, very good condition throughout.
Technical Data : Four speed manual gearbox, 6 cylinder in line configuration engine, 4.5 litres displacement, 4566cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.
FOR MORE PHOTOS AND INFORMATION PLEASE GO TO WWW.FRANKDALE.COM